This light recipe is just perfect for the incredibly hot and humid August we have been having in Ohio. If you didn’t know this about me, I hate the heat. I would rather be cold any day of the week. If I had to rank my preference for the seasons it would be 1) Fall 2) Winter 3) Spring 4) Summer. I really can’t stand summer. Needless to say, I’ve be counting down the days until August 31st. I really think that August 31st-Otober 31st are the best weather days in Ohio (Even though on October 18, 2014, my wedding day, it was the most awful weather of the year. Another story for another time). When August 31st hits, I plan on switching my light and cool recipes in for warm, comfy recipes.
Until then, enjoy this summer salad. It’s completely low FODMAP, so it should sit well with all. The feta in this salad is even considered low lactose, so those with lactose intolerance should be able to enjoy this dish too!
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup olives, halved
- 1 cup multi-colored peppers, sautéed and chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, mix the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Begin to sauté the peppers in a skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is done, place it in a medium bowl. If you would like to serve this salad cold, chill the quinoa now. Otherwise, leave it hot and continue on.
- If serving hot, add the vinegar/olive oil mixture to the quinoa.
- Toss in the olives, parsley, and peppers.
- Right before serving, add in the feta cheese.